The chorus and our ensembles will perform several times this month. Thursday, Dec. 14 the chorus will perform in Van Horne as part of the Benton Community Christmas Show. The next day our ensemble, Aged 2 Perfection will sing at the New Citizens Ceremony 1:30 p.m. at the Federal Courthouse in Cedar Rapids, and on Thursday Dec. 21, we will be caroling at various locations in the area.
(Easy, Accurate and Fast!)
Balance the left and right channels of your stereo so your voice part on the learning recording is loud enough to be easily heard above the other 3 parts.
- Listening Step—While following your voice part notes on the sheet music (if you do not read music, follow the notes visually by contour), listen to your part without singing 2 to 4 times through depending on difficulty. Listen extra times to places that seem tough or that do not seem to match what you see on the sheet music.
[The recording and sheet music are pre-checked and should match—if you do find an error, please notify the music committee.]
- Doo-doo-doo Step—Sing “doo-doo-doo” on your part 2 to 4 times through. Learn to match the pitches and rhythms of the learning recording. Set the recording louder than your “doo-ing” and let it lead your learning. Again, “doo” extra times on the tough places. If there’s a place too tough to get from the recording, see your section leader—do not “shrug-off” and rehearse mistakes. On the final doo-ing pass, set the sheet music aside and let the recording lead your ears to the right pitches and rhythms.
- Muscle Memory Step—Stand and silently mime the song 2 to 4 times through with the recording. Breathe and support as if actually singing. Form vowels and consonants with lips and tongue as if you were singing a perfect rendition. Silently create the physical throat and larynx formations for accurate pitches and freely produced tone as if singing a perfect unison duet with the recorded voice. On the final muscle memory pass, set the sheet music aside and let the recording lead your ears to the right muscle memory patterns.
- Full Singing Step—Put it all together and fully sing with the recording. Let the recording continue to lead your learning on the first run-through or two. Then, on successive reps, gradually shift the channel balance on the stereo until you are tuning your voice to the other three parts quartet-style.
Material contained from “Learning A Song”
Copyright © 2002 by Jay Giallombardo
Copyright controlled by GSB Medal Music, Inc
Used by Permission All Rights Reserved.
Thursday, June 23 will be a special night dedicated to inviting men of all ages to experience the excitement and fun of four-part men’s harmony. Whether you get a specific invitation from one of our current members, or just decide on your own that you’d like to see what Barbershop Harmony is all about, you’ll feel welcome! We’ll show you what happens in a rehearsal, learn a tag to sing in a small group, and see a demonstration of how we learn our music. If transportation is an issue, we’ll pick you up! RSVP to Jack Ray [Jandbray04@netins.net] or just stop by. There will be cookies!
Busy summer on tap for the Harmony Hawks
The chorus is reaching out to singers in the area including high school and college students home for the summer to prepare and sing with us at two upcoming events.
The first is Wednesday, July 22 and Sunday, July 26 (same program, two nights), where we will join the Cedar Rapids Municipal Band for an outdoor program. The Sunday evening performance will be at the McGrath Amphitheatre along the Cedar River downtown. We have a few specific songs we will be working on during the first half of our rehearsals.
The second event is Saturday, September 12 where we will join Orchestra Iowa at Brucemore. The two songs we will perform are Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture and a new arrangement of March of the Men of Harlech. We’ll learn this music, but will be able to use sheet music to sing from for that show. In addition to our regular rehearsals, we will rehearse twice with the orchestra before the concert.
This is a special opportunity for male singers in high school or college choirs to keep singing for the summer, and to perform for of family and friends. Please join us as we will work on this music EVERY Thursday night this beginning now, 7-8 p.m. (the first half of our rehearsal), at the Scottish Rite Temple, 616 A Ave. NE.
To the Iowa City Old Capitol Chorus annual “Cookie Festival”.
Thursday, May 14 @ 7 -9:30 pm.
Iowa City Robert A. Lee Recreation Center – Social Hall (upstairs) – regular place
Cookies and drinks will be provided by the OCC. If you want to bring something to share, you know I won’t stop you!
If you have a quartet or small group that would like to entertain for us – you may do so at the end of the evening. We have the hall until 10 p.m..
We look forward to having you. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email, call, or text :
Director – Iowa City Old Capitol Chorus
319-321-6788 (call or text)
A great DVD recording of the 2014 Spring Show is available from Blue Sky Productions. The cost is $25. Order your copy here.
Tom Zuber was surprised at the Harmony Hawks rehearsal last night when his wife Jan and his daughter Holly came to rehearsal. Tom was presented his 50-year SPEBSQSA membership pin. Tom has been an active member of the Harmony Hawks for all those 50 years serving in a variety of positions within the chorus. Currently Tom serves as Chorus Manager and is the Host Chairman for the Central States District Fall Convention to held in Cedar Rapids October 10-12, 2014. Congratulations to Tom. CSD President Dean Beckman presented Tom with his pin and wishes him many more years of singing.
Chorus Members: If you signed up to sing at the airport tonight for the return of the Honor Flight, please remember to be there by 9:00 in the airport lobby area dressed in your blue shirt, black slacks and black shoes.
Here are the songs we are doing and the order we will perform them:
- I Feel A Song Coming On
- Down On the Corner – leads be ready to sing the 4th verse in case Cal and Ralph aren’t there
- Pretty Woman
- This Little Light
- I Want to Hold Your Hand
- Patriotic Medley
- God Bless America
The Chorus, in the form of various groups, will be performing our Christmas and seasonal music at several locations in the upcoming weeks. Here are some that are confirmed at this time.
- Uptown Marion, Fri. Dec. 6 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- LDS Church, 4150 Blue Jay Dr NE, Cedar Rapids, Sat. Dec. 7, 5 – 6 p.m.
- Mercy Hospital, Cedar Rapids, Thurs. Dec. 12, 6 – 7 p.m.
- Meadow View Care Facility, Fri. Dec. 13, 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Heritage Care Center, 200 Clive Dr. SW, Sat. Dec.14, 2 p.m.
- St. Luke’s Hospital, Thur. Dec. 19, 6 p.m.
- Shores Event Center, Fri. Dec. 20, 6 p.m.
- Summit Point Care Center, Marion, Sat. Dec. 21, 2 p.m.
Guests, family and former members are invited to this special night of rehearsal. We’ll induct new members, present some of our new songs, review some highlights of the past performance year, and share snacks and fellowship. Join us at the Scottish Rite Temple, Thursday Nov. 14, 6:45 to 9:30 p.m.