About the Chorus
The Harmony Hawks Barbershop Chorus is a community service chorus based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Men and boys aged 16 and older from across Eastern Iowa sing with us. We are affiliated with the Barbershop Harmony Society, and barbershop harmony lies at the heart of our repertoire that also includes patriotic, gospel, and popular music arranged as four-part a capella harmony.
Some highlights last year include:
- Providing entertainment for Tribute to Heroes, the kickoff event for the Cedar Rapids Freedom Festival
- Raising nearly $2,500 for charity in our annual Gospel Concert
- Providing music for many Naturalization Ceremonies
- Teaming up with choirs from College Community’s Prairie Point middle school in our annual spring show
- Visiting area schools to demonstrate vocal technique and barbershop quartet singing
Our mission: to promote singing for a lifetime.
Our current members range in age from high school youth to senior citizens with over 60 years of singing experience in our chorus. By learning to blend our voices, we develop both our vocal skill and the bonds of friendship with each other. Singing invigorates us and keeps our minds sharp. Our mission includes reaching out to schools to assist them in bringing the gift of singing to their students.
Singing in competition:
The Harmony Hawks Chorus and quartets compete yearly in the Central States District of the Barbershop Harmony Society. Preparing for contest sharpens our skills and raises the level of performance on all our songs.
- Come join us at one of our public performances
- If you are a male aged 16 or older who loves to sing, come to any rehearsal
- We meet Thursdays, 7 – 9 p.m. at the Scottish Rite Temple, 616 A Ave. NE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Director, John Hayden
Under John Hayden’s direction, the Harmony Hawks have won the Plateau AA Championship in the five-state Central States Region. He is an active clinician at choral festivals in the United States and Canada, an arranger, festival judge, and has been on the faculty of Harmony University. John also has extensive quartet experience including singing lead with the current CSD Champion Quartet, Switchback.
John teaches vocal music at Benton Community in Van Horne, Iowa.
2017 Harmony Hawks Board of Directors and Officers
- President, Gary Lindsay
- Past President, Bill Moss.
- Music & Programming VP, Tom Read
- Membership & Chapter Development VP, Jack Ray
- Secretary, Wendell Aldrich
- Treasurer, Al Huneke
- Board Members at Large: Greg Koenigs, Theodore Williams
- Spring Show Chairs, Larry Aspleaf
- Gary Lindsay, President, Webmaster, 319-377-7679
- Tom Read, scheduling performances 319-360-3765
- Jack Ray, to visit rehearsal (319) 360-0503